Friday, August 01, 2008

Nothing Completed

If you keep track of this blog you have probably already realized I hardly ever seem to have anything completed. That fact is not true but what is true is that I ALWAYS have many projects in progress and hardly ever get enough time to work on them! Here is one that will be the beginning of an installation I hope to install in a gallery that will have me. this is called the Karma Sutra quilt....for obvious reasons. It is made in the traditional wedding ring style of quilting yet I have added text and figures derived from the Karma Sutra. This piece is only a part of a whole. The concept behind the installation is, What is Pure? I am questioning traditional assumptions about "purity", the use of white in this context and also the medias representation of purity through the use of the color white. I am always interested in creating juxtapositions in my work to create a kind of tension. I think this piece illustrates that.

Karma Sutra wedding quilt, cotton and silk, २००८


detail from Karma Sutra quilt illustrating text within a circle


detail of embroidered figures

No comments:

Post a Comment