Monday, June 25, 2007

CURTAIN TIME (ALMOST)I have included not only a photo of the work but also some of the environment it is in so you can see the process I am using to complete this work. Sometimes I feel as if the wooden frame the quilt is now halfway stretched on is like a dressmakers mannequin.
I am draping the curtains around the frame and will secure everything together when I have finished. In this way if I need to add or subtract anything at this point I can do it without harming the piece. The small image on the left is a bit blurry but if I use the flash it fades out the color of the fabric used in the trim. I took a detail of the trim so you can see the pleating,color and texture of the fabric. The trim has taken many hours! It was tedious but very gratifying. I love the way it is turning out. I have a few more fun details left to accomplish but will leave them a surprise. At this point I am so pleased with the way this work has come to fruition!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have this piece out during camp? What do your girls and your camper artists think? I had no idea those pleats were so small! Looks like you're putting more detail into this one than your others in this vein. Any reason?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't leave the piece out during classes (fear!). I did take the class up to look at it. They are doing a project in a similar vein. I will have to photograph! They are so creative. As for detail, obsessive compulsive disorder, what can I say :0 Really, I am just trying to get some different sewing practice, try new things. Practically speaking, the curtain is to balance the portraits, the detail, to add interest. Conceptually, it is the 'chdildren should be seen and not hear' mentality which was so prevalent in years past. I try to add some history and some typically 'domestic' approaches to my work. Why? Freud would be able to tell me I am sure.

    ReplyDelete