Saturday, June 30, 2007

WHAT I HAVE NOTICED

I have been thinking lately about the difference in a couple of terms I hear people use all the time; Finding time verse Making time. I think people should be aware that there is a very big difference between the two. Finding time leaves you at the mercy of a life that just keeps rolling. It is like trying to jump onto a moving roller coaster. At least that is my experience. On the other hand making time leaves you in control. This is the way I prefer. I believe it starts with trying to adjust your terminology. Start telling people you are making time for something. Positive thinking is the biggest part of the battle. I also actually put stuff like laundry onto my calender on a particular day. That way it is in the schedule and I have made time to do it. The biggest challenge for me has been making the time being that I have a family and many other obligations so I find that if it is personal or exercise time I am trying to make time for I have to make it really early or after bed times.

ON GETTING UP EARLY:
I have to recommend this! Doing some serious exercise before half the world is up is amazing and gratifying! A bonus is seeing the sun come up and the mist rise from the grasses. I mean really, how often can you feel like you are in a Henry David Thoreau novel!

So the challenge for today or this week is: MAKE TIME TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU. You will feel better and when you feel better you want to do more of the same. Its like a drug!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great topic and I agree with most everything you wrote. How is it then that I still have such a hard time carving out that time? I'm always so impressed at the amount of artwork you are able to complie - big complex pieces like The Girls and smaller pieces like your leaf studies - all with two small girls running around!

    Maybe it's trying to cram school work and artwork into the moments I do manage to find. What I really need to work on is the concept I read about a few years ago - an artists date. I can't seem to make it out of the house without kids unless I'm leaving for class. I'll try putting it on my calendar and let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really weird how much time we spend in the house. When you think of that huge space of time working (at another destination) folks spend somewhere else it seems odd. They get exposure to many other people and environments...not so much us. Sometimes I actually feel hesitant to leave. Strange. I do love my home and feel comfortable here but it is a different life for sure!

    ReplyDelete