Saturday, October 20, 2007

THINKING ABOUT PROCESS

I have been taking a painting class lately and have been forced to think about the process I use to create my art. I have often spoken to people who are curious about how I work, so I thought this might be a good place to discuss what happens inside my brain. I always tell people I have so many ideas of what to create that I cant actually keep up with them. I have begun to try and harness these ideas and formulate a process in order to finish some pieces in less time.

THE JOURNAL

My journal is vital. I use it for so many purposes. I sketch out ideas. Once I create a piece, or if I am in the middle of creating a piece I will often have to write down certain techniques so I will be able to recreate them when I want to. If you always do this in a central place (the journal) you will be able to find it quickly and easily when you need it. I also use it to write down all my ideas. These could be just techniques I want to try. Often times I will think through the whole process and write it down. This saves me time when I actually sit down to try it. Other items I put in my journal are visual images. I collect whatever I see that catches my eye, magazine images, my photos, fabrics, candy wrapper....whatever! Our environments are so stimulating it is sometimes hard to narrow down our focus. I find it best to keep my journal at hand most of the time. I actually keep two just in case I cant find one or one is in my studio and one in my bedroom...as that is were the ideas flow sometimes!

More tomorrow on NARROWING YOUR FOCUS tomorrow. ( I am writing on this topic as this is sometimes VERY difficult for me)!

No comments:

Post a Comment