Tuesday, January 30, 2007

KATHLEEN

I just saw Josh Ritter a few nights ago and it reminded me of a portrait I had done last year of an old elementary school classmate of mine. I have and had been out of touch with her for very long time but I had received news that she had fallen into a coma. This was dramatic news for me and occupied my mind. I am a mother of young children and I knew that she had three very young children of her own. It was awful information. It was at this time that I came across singer/song writer, Josh Ritter. One of his popular songs is called 'Kathleen' and it affected me greatly. I played this song over and over and one day it just came to me that I needed to create a portrait of Kathleen to remember her as a child. After I did this my mind became at ease and I really came to terms with what had occurred. Here is the portrait. If you have frequented my blog you can see that it is very different from my other work. I think that is because it is drawn from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment