Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Women

These are images of portraits I have done recently but before the Smoot and Dreaming portraits. The first one is really a layer of latex dripped over an older painting/drawing I did not like. I left parts exposed to create the layered effect. The figure is done in trapunto and the edges overstitched. The flowers is actually a dried tulip and the red marking on the lower right is a wet-on-wet painting technique. It sort of looks marbilized. Another great site to read up on marilizing is Suminagashi.

In the next image, I pieced large pieces of canvas together with some cloth meant for quilting (the middle piece)....can't think of the name of that type of cloth right now. Anyway, I created a sort of negitive image. I purposely left the joining edges raw. I added the couched braid, done coursely on purpose, and the text was created on the computer, printed on vellum and applied.

All of this quilting, emboridery and beading on fabric is new to me but I find it very engaging. Whereas, in the past I was really focused on the portrait image I am now very much exploring the "quilting" aspect of the work.



No comments:

Post a Comment